Thursday, October 9, 2008

things to know on a long haul flight


Before my trip to Australia, I spent hours and hours researching every aspect of my trip online. One of my most immediate concerns was how to cope with such a long flight, and I found almost nothing helpful on the internet about the issue. Every website on long distance flights offered the same advice -- drink water and get plenty of sleep -- all of which is obvious and I already knew.

Like many people, I hate flying. I mean really, intensely, deeply loathe it. I'm afraid of heights, I don't like the thought of hurtling through space at high speeds, and I've seen too many airplane crashes on television over the years. I've probably done more flying than almost anyone I know -- I have been to 4 continents and made my first international trip as an infant after all -- but that doesn't mean it isn't a traumatic experience for me. Everything about flying, from being in the airport to turbulence in the air, makes me nervous.

So, for people who hate flying and/or are contemplating taking such a long flight for the first time, I'm posting up my own ideas on how to cope with being in an airplane for upwards of 13 hours or more at a time. My total air time was over 44 hours on this trip, so I had plenty of practice and time at implementing these tips ... and they worked for me. This hasn't been my only long distance flight, either -- India was a pretty long trip, too.

This isn't because I think I'm a travel expert or anything else; it's simply to fill some holes and provide ideas for people researching trips online.

Aisle Seating. Let's face it, most long haul flights take place in the evening or well above the cloud cover. While looking out the window can be fun, it wears thin after a few hours, and staring into inky black space or a pile of clouds isn't all that thrilling.
A window seat will leave you feeling cramped, and it's annoying to step over people everytime you need to stretch or use the toilet. The middle seat is just as difficult.
Aisle seating is great for mobility, feels less cramped, and allows you to get up and do things like grab water from the galley.

Entertainment. Quite a few international carriers like Continental and Air New Zealand offer in-seat flight entertainment. Take advantage. Air New Zealand has the best I've come across, with radio stations, television shows and a wide selection of movies.
Also, the Air Show, which is a glorified flight map, is surprisingly compelling to watch. I spent quite a few hours zoning out to that channel, and watching my airplane make its way across the Pacific.

Packing. For a long haul flight, I'd really suggest packing an overnight bag with your carry on luggage. This is an example of what I brought with me:

* water and snacks
* magazines and catch-up reading material
* journal and pen
* digital camera
* spare outfit to change into upon arrival in New Zealand
* makeup, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush

Reading. Let me say this now: reading does not work for nervous flyers. I brought two novels with me to read on my trip, and I was too nervous to concentrate on them. I ended up reading a few trashy magazine articles and watching tv instead.
If you're a nervous flyer, don't try to catch up on War and Peace or something. Cosmopolitan may be less intellectual, but it doesn't require thought to process. Sometimes that's a good thing.

Snacks. While Air New Zealand did a great job at providing tasty food, I still felt hungry during parts of my trip. Luckily, I brought along some snacks with me. These proved to be life savers. A bottle of water is also a life saver late at night when stewards and stewardesses stop coming around offering beverages.
However, do not repeat this formula, which I discoveted en route to Auckland: melted M&Ms + upholstery = gooey, sticky mess.

Talk to Passengers. Some of the best information I got wasn't from tour guides, books or the internet; it was from fellow passengers on my flights. Aussie locals were beyond helpful in giving me the scoop on what to see and how to get off the beaten tourist path. A New Zealand couple told me about a festival in Brisbane, which I would never have known about otherwise. Fellow travelers will help you out if you ask.

I do want to say a word about Air New Zealand: I used them for 4 of my 8 flights, and would happily book with them again. Their service is good, the airplane fleet feels newer than most, and they have tasty meals. I've heard good things about the airline from other travelers too.

So, that's my advice and take it for what it may be worth. I'm just trying to fill in some gaps online. Obviously my suggestions are just that, but they work well for me and I suspect they'd be equally helpful for people with similar needs to mine.

Hope all this helps!


No comments: